May 22nd was Bitcoin Pizza Day! A day that recalls when Laszlo Hanyecz offered 10,000 Bitcoins, for two Papa John’s pizzas on May 22, 2010. The 10,000 Bitcoins were worth roughly $30-40 at the time. The price of Bitcoin has risen to the point where those $40 pizzas are worth about $5 million dollars. For Bitcoiners, Bitcoin Pizza Day has become a holiday worth celebrating, around the world.
There are plenty varieties of pizza, but not too many delicious gluten-free options. While others from our team decided to celebrate by purchasing their pizzas (an equally delectable decision), two of us on the team decided to get creative and make a gluten-free pepperoni and cheese pizza, complete with the Bitcoin B! The crust is made of almond flour, cheese, eggs, and spices. Keep reading for the recipe and photos.
Mandrik’s Delectable Almond Flour Pizza Crust
What you’ll need:
- In a large glass bowl, melt the mozzarella cheese in the microwave for 1 minute and 20 seconds.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the almond flour, egg any any seasonings you like (mmm, garlic!).
- Let the cheese cool for about five minutes, then add the almond flour mixture to the cheese bowl.
- Fold the melted cheese around the almond flour mixture until you eventually have a somewhat even mixture, then roll it into a ball.
- Heat up a large pan on the stove top (medium-low heat), and put the cheese ball in!
- Slowly press down on the ball to spread it out into a circle that fits the size of the pan.
- When one side is golden brown flip and repeat on the other side.
- Place crusts on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Wait for crust to cool somewhat (2-3 minutes), then begin to add your sauce, cheese, and favourite toppings.
- Broil in the oven until cheese is golden brown.
There you have it! We hope you give this recipe a try and share your photos with us! Bitcoin Pizza Day may be on one day of the year, but we can’t help feeling tempted to celebrate it much more often.